Sunday, January 13, 2013

Taylor.

The other day, I was flipping through the recent Yahoo news stories when I came across the People's Choice Awards Gallery. I decided to click on it because I like seeing what people wear to those kinds of things. I was shocked when I came across this picture of Taylor Swift. The typically conservative Taylor Swift sported an elegant dress with a plunging neckline. Did the media finally get to her too?

After watching Miss Representation, I began to notice just how much truth rings to their argument. I know many young girls who love Taylor Swift and look up to her as a role model. What are kids going to think when they come across this picture of her? They will think that it is okay to wear these provocative clothing, because Taylor Swift and many other celebrities do it. In reality, if you go outside with something like this, most likely some bad things are going to happen to you.

This is one of my most unpleasant experiences with media I've had, no doubt. I hate the fact that Taylor Swift chooses to wear this dress when so many young kids look up to her, and I hate how Yahoo, and most likely many other internet sites praise the outfit. Yahoo news describes her as looking "amazing as ever" with a "sexy plunging neckline." People reading this Yahoo article are going to believe that by dressing provocatively, you'll look amazing as ever. There are a lot of adjectives that can be used to describe someone who wears something like that, but amazing is not one of them. 

Another thing that pisses me off is how Yahoo news writes "The best way to get over a breakup? Looking even more amazing than ever!" There are many ways to look more amazing than ever like working out, eating healthier, or something else more productive. Instead they choose to encourage showing your body off to the world as the way to look amazing. 


I don't mean to hate on Taylor Swift or anything. I love her music and I've bought every album she's made. It's just sad how this woman who used to be someone many could look up to has now fallen victim to the pressure of media to become someones she originally was not. What is media doing to us?


Link to Yahoo:

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/people-s-choice-awards-2013-red-carpet-slideshow/

No comments:

Post a Comment